Saturday, April 30, 2005

Swinging Sixties Here I Come Baby Yeah!!!

Godfathers and the angel

The day started fine and ended pretty fine too. We went for Richard Dragon’s 40th Retro Birthday Party. We were all planning for days for this day to come. We all came up with weird outfits, which made us look hippy or retro. I came up with a long sleeve khaki collared shirt with black tapered pants, and to top it up, I wore a trench coat outside it. For accessories, I used a dollar sign bling bling necklace and belt, which totaled up to be $55. I bought it after legion on that very day at peninsular. It was supposedly 90 bucks but with my big sad puppy dog eyes, I bargained with an old Indian man to 55. For my hair, I wore a wig and fake mustache and purple sunglasses. The costume may sound weird but it really made me look different and retro-like. At around 1930, we left home with our costumes on. On the way there, we had to make a detour to pasir ris to pick my baptismal Godfather. Upon reaching our destination, we saw many people there. However, many of them were not wearing retro outfits!! We felt like a misfit!!! We took out some accessories…. Then when we went down to the chalet, we saw that there were some people in the house with the costumes. Out of which were mostly Eurasians. The Chinese were like the bums of the party like they usually are(I’m a Chinese but I don’t care) didn’t wear any form of outfit, which followed the theme of Retro. Later into the night, more and more people came for the party. These were mostly Eurasians who were dressed up in all forms. There were those women who dressed up in the so-called butterfly outfit of their time and guys who dressed up like the peacetime people( long hair with band and hippy clothes). Then at last, Richard Dragon came down with the old bell-bottom high pants with platform shoes, which gave him a groovy touch to his outfit. As the party commenced, we ate all types of food such as bee hoon, chicken wings, sand witches and lots more and had drinks such as alcohol, coke and a weird drink named green spot which was sold openly in the past. Entertainment included disco, movies such as Saturday Night Fever, and Contests such as the best dressed. It was very enjoyable as we sat around the cronies like Freddy fox(Cheryl Fox’s father) and wife, A. Gloria and U. Lawrence and many more. When we were three quarters into the party, U. Lawrence tried to intro me to a suspicious girl to whom I might know the name. He started by saying she didn’t like SJI guys den he went into saying that she was from IJTP. That rang a bell in my head, which reminded me of what Mark Lloyd Gomez had told me before as my other friend Kenneth Lim(TOAD) liked her. Then, I told my mother that I might know who she is. Then, she asked me who and I replied Andrea Joy Dragon. She then went into reconfirming that with her. I was right!!! I knew this girl but she didn’t have any idea of who I was. Later, went she left, everyone on the table who was present during the intro of each other started to interrogate me. Questions spilled towards me. My uncle even tried to get me to dance with her. It was terrible but yet fun when I saw the reactions of their faces when I was right. From then on, I have been hearing non-stop teases from mostly everyone about her. But since I am partially deaf(fiction) they think(keyword) I cannot hear them. What to do??? I am a growing up boy!!!

Posted by Alexander Thaddeus Kow at 4/30/2005 12:21:00 am