Friday, August 03, 2007
Film-Making in Singapore
Film-Making in Singapore
From my point of view, I feel that Singapore's film is not a very profitable industry not solely due to the fact that we have a low budget, but, due to the fact that we do not tamper on good opportunities. Every industry starts from the bottom, then slowly progresses up. But as you noe, the film industry has been pretty stagnant for a long time. Why you ask? It is because we cater to just the Singaporean crowd, who half the time, can't be bothered to watch our own works. I mean, acting at times are a little bad. Then, maybe the film industry should invest more into the acting.
Equipment is just fine for now. We got High Definition cameras which is good enough to film a great movie.
Then, next, people perceive Singaporeans to be "talent-less". I beg to differ. I'm sure Singaporeans are filled with talents. Yet, again, wrong approach taken. You see, many film-makers think that Singaporeans should come up with Singapore shows. Yes, can. But... Who is the target audience? Singaporeans? Coz if that is the case, the film industry is never going to rise. I mean, think of it logically. Learn from other successful film industries in the globe. US for example. They create a "US" type of show, yet people all watch it. It is targeted to the whole world.
My point here is, it is not the talent, it is not the equipment, and it is not the budget. It is simply, the idea and the target audience. With that in mind, I mean, it is worth a try... We can start on simple cheap movies catered for a bigger audience, then as the industry progresses, move on to a global audience.
Film-makers, making any dream, possible.
Posted by Alexander Thaddeus Kow at 8/03/2007 01:13:00 am